Replay Video: Oracle Team USA Wins America’s Cup Race 16
Oracle Team USA held the lead throughout Race 16 of the America’s Cup, crossing the finish line 33 seconds ahead of Emirates Team New Zealand. This marks the fifth consecutive win for the Americans, who still need three straight wins to capture the title. New Zealand needs only one more win.
Skipper Jimmy Spithill and defending champion Oracle Team USA accelerated off the starting line and stayed ahead of Emirates Team New Zealand the entire race.
Oracle’s remarkable comeback closed the Kiwis’ lead to 8-6.
Team New Zealand has been on match point since Wednesday, only to watch Spithill and Oracle’s improved 72-foot catamaran sail ahead in a determined attempt to keep the oldest trophy in international sports.
Oracle has won eight races. But it was docked 2 points for illegally modifying boats in warmup regattas called the America’s Cup World Series.
Light winds initially delayed the start of the race by 30 minutes. Race 17 was postponed until Tuesday at 1:15 p.m. If Race 18 is needed, it will be held at 2:15 p.m.
Race 16 from AmericasCup.com:
- Course: 5 Legs/10.21 nautical miles
- Elapsed Time: OTUSA – 30:43, ETNZ – 31:16
- Delta: OTUSA +:33
- Total distance sailed: OTUSA – 11.8 NM, ETNZ – 11.7 NM
- Average Speed: OTUSA – 23.21 knots (27 mph), ETNZ – 22.46 knots (26 mph)
- Top Speed: OTUSA – 38.05 knots (44 mph), ETNZ – 36.61 knots (42 mph)
- Windspeed: Average – 12.0 knots, Peak – 14.1 knots
- Number of Tacks/Jibes: OTUSA – 10/10, ETNZ – 10/10
Read how the race unfolded.Related