Latest Newscasts:KQEDNPR
Player Sponsored By
upper waypoint

Illia Ponomarenko on Reporting From Ukraine’s Front Lines

at
Save ArticleSave Article
Failed to save article

Please try again

Illia Ponomarenko's new book is "I Will Show You How It Was: The Story of Wartime Kyiv." (Photos courtesy of Illia Ponomarenko)

When Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, Illia Ponomarenko was a 29-year-old journalist for the newspaper he co-founded, The Kyiv Independent. His daily, on-the-ground reporting quickly captured an international audience: by 2023 the German media organization Der Spiegel called him “likely the best-known Ukrainian after President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.” Ponomarenko’s new book, “I Will Show You How It Was,” provides a first-person account of the Battle of Kyiv and its impact on civilians. “Life during the Battle of Kyiv,” he writes, “was a bizarre mixture of inconceivable inspiration, unity, and pride—and at the same time, of dark grief and mourning.” We talk to Ponomarenko about what he’s witnessed over the past two years and his plea for America to “do the right thing.”

Guests:

Illia Ponomarenko, journalist and author, “I Will Show You How It Was: The Story of Wartime Kyiv”; former defense and security reporter, The Kyiv Post; co-founder, The Kyiv Independent. He has covered the war in eastern Ukraine since the conflict's beginning, as well as Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine since 2022

Sponsored

lower waypoint
next waypoint
Dutch Research Team Recounts the Long-Term Effects of StarvationThe Long Troubled History of US Immigration Detention and the Case for Ending It'A Chance to Harmonize' Tells the Story of the U.S. Music UnitHere’s What to Do in the Bay Area This SummerCalifornia’s Budget Deficit is $45 Billion. What's Newsom's Plan to Fix It?Doing Democracy: Trump’s Rhetoric Raises Fears of an Authoritarian Second TermTiffany Haddish Wants to ‘Curse You With Joy’Carvell Wallace Journeys Through Loss and Reunion in Memoir ‘Another Word for Love’In Transit: Amtrak's Future In CaliforniaCan Fashion Be Sustainable?