Recipe Chef: Tia Harrison
Recipe Name: Goat Cheese and Pear Galette
Type of Cuisine: Northern Italian
Food Category: Dessert
Flakey pastry crust filled with fresh goat cheese and Bartlett pears, served with whipped cream and Capezzana olive oil.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
Zest of 2 oranges, minced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup, plus 4 tablespoons chilled butter
1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons chilled water
Goat Cheese Filling:
1 1/2 cups goat cheese
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced fragrant (Bartlett) pears
2 egg whites
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 375°. To make the crust, combine flour, sea salt, sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add chilled butter and process until the butter is the size of small pebbles. Slowly add the ice water until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Mix all the cheese, eggs, cream, nutmeg, ground black pepper, and brown sugar together with the whip attachment in a mixer until well combined. Set aside.
3. Once the pastry crust is chilled, roll the dough into circles as you would a pie crust, making it about 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
4. Place a heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture in the center of the crust and about a 1/4 cup of the sliced pears. Fold the edges of the dough over the top of the spiced cheese and pears. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Once the galettes are assembled, brush the dough with egg whites and sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
5. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the edges are crispy and the goat cheese and pear mixture is bubbling.
Serve with a drizzle of an earthy olive oil, such as Tenuta Di Capezzana, and freshly whipped cream.