San Francisco: Typhoid Alert For Those Who Ate at Nordstrom Cafe in Stonestown Galleria
SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) San Francisco health officials are alerting customers that an employee who handled food at a city shopping mall cafe was recently diagnosed with typhoid fever.
Patrons who ate at the restaurant on April 16, 17, 18, 20 or 27 are advised to see a doctor right away if they start to experience fever, weakness, stomach pains, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or loss of appetite.
In some typhoid cases, a rash of flat, light-red spots may appear.
Health officials said typhoid fever is an illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and is usually acquired by those traveling internationally.
In the U.S., there are as many as 400 cases each year of the illness. It is usually caught when someone eats food or drink contaminated by someone with typhoid fever, such as the case at the Nordstrom Cafe.
Death is uncommon, especially with antibiotic treatment. Those who suspect they have typhoid fever should make efforts to avoid spreading the illness.
Health officials said Nordstrom staff are cooperating with the health department’s investigation and is working on informing and protecting the public and their employees.
Update: Nordstrom’s spokesperson Kara Darrow says the affected employee is “recovering just fine.”
She said the store has a relationship with a local clinic where anyone who wants to can be tested for typhoid fever. Information on that process is available at Nordstrom stores, she said — nothing on the web.
The cafe at the Galleria is still open.
Update Saturday: The Chronicle is reporting today that cafe customers who want a free typhoid test should call Nordstrom at (415) 753-1344.