San Francisco Bay Area Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday: Parking, Transit, Events
On Monday the Bay Area, like much of the United States, will celebrate the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Lots of special events will take place around the region. And schedules of transit and parking will vary. Here are some highlights:
San Francisco transportation
- Meters will be enforced on the Monday holiday. (And don’t forget they are being enforced on all Sundays as well as Saturdays now.)
- Muni will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- The Martin Luther King March will start at 4th and King streets and proceed east on Channel Street, north on 3rd Street and west on Howard Street to Yerba Buena Gardens. The march is expected to conclude at approximately noon. For more on special transit arrangements, visit the San Francisco Metropolitan Transportation Agency.
Alameda County and Contra Costa County transportation
- AC Transit will operate on a Sunday schedule (including no transbay service).
- Parking meters will not be enforced in Oakland.
Santa Clara and San Mateo County transportation
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority will operate buses and light rail on a Monday schedule.
- San Jose Parking meters will not be enforced.
- SamTrans will operate on a regular Monday schedule.
Marin County transportation
- Golden Gate Transit will operate on a regular Monday schedule.
Golden Gate Ferry
- The Sausalito Ferry will operate on a holiday schedule.
- The Larkspur Ferry will operate on a modified holiday schedule.
San Francisco Bay Ferry
- Most ferries will run on a weekday schedule, but check the website.
- Trains will run on a Saturday schedule, but with a few extra trains for folks who don’t get the day off.
- The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Association of Santa Clara Valley will charter Caltrain as its “Freedom Train” Monday, Jan. 21. The train will depart the San Jose Diridon Caltrain Station at 9:30 a.m. It will be met by special Muni buses in San Francisco taking riders to the Martin Luther King March.
- Other trains will operate on a regular Monday schedule.