- Ed Lee drops stop-frisk plan amid uproar (SF Chronicle)
Mayor Ed Lee has dropped plans to bring New York City's controversial stop-and-frisk policy to San Francisco and instead will rely on targeted police enforcement, crime-tracking software and increased involvement by ministers to combat the gun violence that has plagued some of the city's most crime-ridden neighborhoods.
- SF parking plan's message: Transit first (SF Chronicle)
San Francisco's aggressive plan to install thousands more parking meters and to expand the hours they operate has an overarching goal of making the streets friendlier for transit, cycling and walking.
- S.F. fire crews knock down 4-alarm blaze (SF Chronicle)
San Francisco firefighters knocked down a four-alarm fire Tuesday morning that destroyed a commercial building in the city's Ingleside neighborhood. The fire was reported around 5:45 a.m. in the attic of a commercial building on 1552 Ocean Avenue and was brought under control by 6:30 a.m., authorities said. Two firefighters suffered minor injures while fighting the blaze.
- Police cuts, rumors of easy targets fuel Bay Area burglary spike (Oakland Tribune)
Bay Area cities have seen double-digit jumps in home burglaries during the first half of 2012 as a storm of such factors as fewer cops on the streets and rumors of easy targets have collided to boost thievery. The biggest spike is in Palo Alto, with a 63 percent jump in home burglaries, but Oakland has seen a 33 percent hike, and the surge in San Jose is 39 percent.
- MendoChuck on Proposed California Gun Laws Aim at Safe Storage
- Hosaki Rion on Proposed California Gun Laws Aim at Safe Storage
- Sparafucile on Proposed California Gun Laws Aim at Safe Storage
- esmensetoo on Tough Laws Do Little to Slow California Gun Rush
- Billy Boston on Video: Interview With Driver in San Mateo Bridge Limo Fire
- San Francisco Online Rental Company Airbnb Gets New York Setback
- Vertical ‘Pinkhouses:’ The Future Of Urban Farming?
- Why We Can’t Stop Listening to Deerhunter’s “Monomania”
- Art Review: Mills College MFA Exhibition, a 'Compound Vision'
- Bay Area Awarded Super Bowl in 2016
- Jeremy Affeldt: Life, Justice and Major League Baseball
- Poverty Rates Soar in Bay Area Suburbs
- Yahoo Acquires Tumblr
- Show Us Your Dance Moves!
- The California Report
Search this blog
- Animals and Wildlife
- Arts and Entertainment
- Blog Beat
- Business and Finance
- California History
- Central Valley
- Criminal Justice
- Disability Issues
- Drug Policy
- Federal Government
- Fill in the Blank
- Gender Issues
- Gun Issues
- Human Rights
- Law Enforcement
- Morning Splash
- Native American Issues
- Natural Disasters
- Night life
- Pension Reform
- Poverty Issues
- Public Insight Network Stories
- Quotes of the Day
- Racial Issues
- Real Estate
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Cruz
- State Budget
- Wednesday Weeklies
Follow KQED News on Facebook
Connect with KQED News on Twitter
About the Blogger