- San Jose State prepares to give up local guarantee (Bay Area News Group)
The end is nigh for San Jose State's guaranteed admission for South Bay applicants. Packed with students it can't afford, the university is preparing to end its promise to admit all qualified high-school graduates from Santa Clara County. Instead, the school would give preference -- but not a guarantee -- to those students.
- Mirkarimi to be sentenced today on false imprisonment charge (Bay City News)
San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi is scheduled to appear in San Francisco Superior Court Monday for sentencing in connection with an alleged domestic violence incident involving his wife. Mirkarimi, 50, pleaded guilty on March 12 to one count of misdemeanor false imprisonment. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors agreed to drop three other charges stemming from a Dec. 31 incident in which he allegedly grabbed his wife's arm during an argument.
- San Mateo at the center of school-renovation boom (Bay Area News Group)
...The San Mateo Union High School District and San Mateo-Foster City elementary district are engaged in a building and renovation frenzy fueled by voter-approved bonds. Similar activity is occurring throughout the county and elsewhere around the Bay Area, as districts seek to make their schools safe, technologically up-to-date and more energy-efficient.
- California gun shows caught in the crossfire (SJ Mercury News)
For [one] Glenn County couple, the South Bay is a small island amid a sea of hostility toward their TS Gun Shows. Bay Area counties from Alameda and Marin to San Mateo have enacted laws that forbid the sale or possession of guns on government property, effectively banning gun shows at some of the best spots to hold them. The Nordykes believe those laws are unconstitutional -- and on Monday, a federal appeals court will once again take up their 12-year quest to strike down the regulations.
- Despite rain, Marin County eyes emergency drought declaration (Marin Independent Journal)
Because of "scarce rainfall" and warm weather that has toasted ranch pastures, Marin County officials are on the verge of approving an emergency resolution asserting that county farmers face drought conditions.
- Many Arguments, No Agreements on Affordable Housing (Bay Citizen)
San Francisco civic leaders are bickering over new subsidies for affordable housing in the most expensive city for renters in the United States. Mayor Edwin M. Lee, who made affordable housing a key issue in his election campaign last fall, convened a series of meetings beginning in January to devise a plan for replacing tens of millions of dollars in housing subsidies that the city lost when Gov. Jerry Brown dissolved redevelopment agencies across the state last year.
- Scientists Look to Explain Whale Calf Sightings in Bay (Bay Citizen)
Recent sightings of a gray whale and her infant calf swimming near Alcatraz and Sausalito in San Francisco Bay illuminated a likely repercussion of melting polar ice, scientists said.
- esmensetoo on Tough Laws Do Little to Slow California Gun Rush
- Billy Boston on Video: Interview With Driver in San Mateo Bridge Limo Fire
- CrowdAlbum on News Pix: Bay to Breakers Rules and SF Citizen Scientists Take Over McLaren Park
- Jane on Made-Over Merida From 'Brave' Not Dead Yet
- Anthony J. Alfidi on California Homebuying Program for Veterans Hands Out Few Loans
- Following the Money, Obama Returns to Bay Area in June
- Washington State Butcher Spikes Pig Feed With Weed
- San Francisco: The Epicenter of Visual Storytelling
- Event: Björk Brings 'Biophilia' to Richmond
- Revised Manual of Mental Disorders Stirs Controversy
- The California Report
- Jon Mooallem on the Weird World of People and Animals
- Bay to Breakers 2013: Not Without Incident, Full of Color
- Tumblr Joins Flickr Inside Yahoo, But Where is the Money?
- Easy to Do, Inexpensive; Music Calms Some ICU Patients
Search this blog
- Animals and Wildlife
- Arts and Entertainment
- Blog Beat
- Business and Finance
- California History
- Central Valley
- Criminal Justice
- Disability Issues
- Drug Policy
- Federal Government
- Fill in the Blank
- Gender Issues
- Gun Issues
- Human Rights
- Law Enforcement
- Morning Splash
- Native American Issues
- Natural Disasters
- Night life
- Pension Reform
- Poverty Issues
- Public Insight Network Stories
- Quotes of the Day
- Racial Issues
- Real Estate
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Santa Cruz
- State Budget
- Wednesday Weeklies
Follow KQED News on Facebook
Connect with KQED News on Twitter
About the Blogger