Steve Jobs (1955 – 2011): 16 Jobs-Related Links
Jobs at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, June, 2010
In August, when Steve Jobs stepped down as Apple CEO due to his worsening condition, we curated the following list of some of the more interesting links related to the life and career of a man who is always described first and foremost by one word — visionary.
- Steve Jobs: The Edison of Our Time and the Future of Apple (The Atlantic) – What will be the most lasting legacy of his historic tenure?
- 7 Products Steve Jobs Got Wrong: The Biggest Apple Flops (Huffington Post) – From the Apple III to Apple TV
- Money Quotes, Steve Jobs-Style (Wired) – “Don’t be evil is a load of crap.”
- Steve Jobs and the Power of Love (Bay Citizen) – “If you stop someone on the street — me, even — and ask them how they like their iPhone, they’re likely to gush ‘I love it.’”
- Steve Jobs And The Cultural Apple (NPR’s Monkey See) – “The relationship between Apple and its aficionados has always borne little resemblance to the relationships consumers have with most other giant companies, tech companies, or even brilliantly marketed companies…What you see is not “Apple is brilliant,” “No, Microsoft is brilliant.” What you see is, “Apple is brilliant.” “Oh, would you shut up already.”
- Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (YouTube) – Jobs addresses his diagnosis and his own mortality
- The 10 Best Ads to Come out of Steve Jobs’ Reign at Apple (Advertising Age) – “1984,” “Mac vs. PC,” Think Different,” and more
- Steve Jobs’s Power (The New Yorker) – “As a technology journalist, I’ve often found Jobs utterly maddening. He’s controlling and manipulative…And yet, the man is undoubtedly a genius.”
- A Look at Steve Jobs’ 313 Apple Patents (NY Times) – illustrated list, from desktop computers to keyboards and packaging.
- The End of Innocence: How Steve Jobs Was Able to Save Apple (Wired) – “It seems unthinkable today — but more than two decades ago, when personal computers were still new and everybody listened to music on a Walkman, Steve Jobs was cast out of Apple… (How) Jobs could be the fall guy one decade and Apple’s savior the next.”
- 10 Unusual Things I Didn’t Know About Steve Jobs (The Altucher Confidential) – he doesn’t give any money to charity, he lied to the Woz, and he’s a Zen Buddhist, among others
- Why Apple employees avoid getting in the elevator with Steve Jobs (Venture Beat) – “Dhuey recalls that people would dread getting into an elevator with Jobs. If you got on at the 4th floor, you’d better have captivated him by the time you got off on the 1st. Jobs remembered you when you had a great story to tell. He also remembered when you didn’t.”
- Steve Jobs is a biological Arab-American with roots in Syria (World New Live From Lebanon) – interview with the biological father of Jobs, who was adopted
- Steve Jobs presents new Apple campus plans to Cupertino City Council – (YouTube) – video of the June 7 meeting
- Icon Ambulance (Vic Gundotra) – “…while it was customary for Steve to call during the week upset about something, it was unusual for him to call me on Sunday and ask me to call his home. I wondered what was so important?…”I’ve been looking at the Google logo on the iPhone and I’m not happy with the icon. The second O in Google doesn’t have the right yellow gradient.”
- New Apple CEO Tim Cook: ‘I’m Thinking Printers’ (The Onion) – “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him.”
Category: Economy, Tech