Fifteen September 11th-Related Links
- Weekend Bay Area events commemorating the 9/11 attacks (SF Examiner) – two dozen area events
- Video: News coverage of the attacks (CNN) – video compilation from CNN’s broadcast that day
- The Reckoning: America and the World a Decade After 9/11 (NY Times) – essays, articles and interactives from the paper. Inlcludes 76 photographs documenting the history of the twin towers, and an oral history/slideshow of New Yorkers recounting their experience of the day.
- New Yorker: Talk of the Town 2011 – essays by David Remnick, Ian Frazier, Zadie Smith, Jonathan Safran Foer, Edward Conlon, Edwidge Danticat
- New Yorker: Talk of the Town 2001 – John Updike, Jonathan Franzen, Denis Johnson, Roger Angell, Aharon Appelfeld, Rebecca Mead, Amitav Ghosh, Donald Antrim, and, famously, Susan Sontag write two weeks after the attacks.
- September 11 rumors (Snopes.com search) – The urban legends reference page debunks September 11-related rumors.
- The 9/11 Tapes: The Story in the Air (NY Times) – “selection of audio recordings from the Federal Aviation Administration (F.A.A.), North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) and American Airlines from the morning of Sept. 11, 2001″
- Video: George W. Bush hears of the attacks (YouTube) – famous (or notorious) reaction of the president, stuck in a classroom full of children, after hearing news of the attacks whispered in his ear
- Audio: First-Time Opera Composer Debuts ‘Heart of a Soldier’ (KQED News) – conversation with composer Christopher Theofanidis, whose opera is about the life of a Morgan Stanley security official who saved thousands of lives at the company’s World Trade Center offices. (Video preview here)
- Video: Sept 11 Attack Filmed From Space (Huffington Post) – video taken from the International Space Station
- Photo gallery (Time magazine) – 14 stunning images
- God Angrily Clarifies ‘Don’t Kill’ Rule (The Onion) – “Responding to recent events on Earth, God, the omniscient creator-deity worshipped by billions of followers of various faiths for more than 6,000 years, angrily clarified His longtime stance against humans killing each other Monday.”
- Michele Pred: Confiscated (KQED Arts) – The conceptual artist works with objects confiscated in airports, where security checkpoints have steadily accumulated piles of cuticle scissors and corkscrews since the post-9/11 founding of the Transportation Security Administration.
- 9/11: Ten Years Later (KQED News) – coverage includes audio essays from Bay Area residents about the impact of 9/11 on individual lives, neighborhoods and broader communities in the region
- 9/11 – The Naudet brothers’ documentary (Google search) – startling video from the film by the French documentarians who happened to be shooting a New York City firefighter when the attack occurred