FILED UNDER:, , , , ,
Quick quiz: 1. Which labor organization helped fund and organize the first Earth Day celebration? 2. Who made the following statement: “Restoring nature to its natural state is a cause beyond party and beyond factions … It is a cause … Read More
- Now that You've Finished Your Taxes (Hopefully), See What They Actually Pay For
- Equal Pay Day: How Big is the Wage Gap Between Men and Women?
A Missouri grand jury’s decision on Monday to not charge a white police officer in the August shooting death of Michael Brown, an unarmed black teen, sparked angry protests in cities around the country. The incident, which happened last August in the … Read More
- Four Factors Fueling the Rage in Ferguson
- Affirmative Action on the Rocks [Interactive Timeline]
(View mobile version here) In his 2013 State of the Union address, President Obama urged Congress to raise the federal minimum wage, which has wallowed at $7.25 since 2007. But Congress didn’t budge, sidestepping the issue that has long been staunchly … Read More
- Majority Rules: California's Proposition System Explained [Infographic]
- Bay Area Ballot Measures Relevant to Young Folks: A Youth Radio Prop Guide
Love ‘em or hate ‘em, propositions are an entrenched part of California’s political system. In nearly every statewide election, voters wade through a slurry of local and statewide ballot measures, part of a system intended to expand direct democracy. Some are really … Read More
- California Voting Got You Down? Check Out This Interactive Election Guide
- Which Propositions Passed (and which counties voted for them)?
Last week, Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation to create California’s first set of regulations on hydraulic fracturing. The controversial extraction technique, commonly known as fracking, involves the high-pressure injection of water, sand and chemicals into deep shale formations in order … Read More
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes
- Who Do We Lock Up? Four Key Characteristics of Cal's Prison Population