Click on different points on the map below to see which counties would be part of each one of California’s six new states, as outlined in a proposed ballot initiative. Per capita income and population figures are listed for each “state,” … Read More
- Demystifying California's Top-Two Primary System
- "Schoolhouse Rock" Revised: What it Really Takes to Pass A Bill in Congress
View timeline in full-screen mode In a blow to affirmative action policies nationwide, the Supreme Court on Tuesday (April 22) upheld a 2006 Michigan voter initiative banning race-conscious admissions policies in public universities. Writing for the majority in the 6-2 … Read More
- Explaining the Latest Supreme Court Ruling on Campaign Spending Limits
- The Voting Rights Act: An Illustrated History
By Donelle Blubaugh Contributor hat are political party platforms and how much impact do they have in actual political decision-making? During the Republican and Democratic national conventions this summer, you probably heard a lot about the party platforms” These are … Read More
- Where the Super PACs Spend Their Dough
- Leaders of the (super) PAC: This Election, Who Are the Heavy Hitters?
et’s be honest: voting in California can be kind of overwhelming. Along with having to decide on a president, a senator, state and local officials, and local ballot measures, California voters were also faced with no less than eleven statewide … Read More
- Following the Money: Who's Paying for the Propositions?
This is not a good time for umbrella merchants in California. 2013 was one of the driest years on record in the state. And January – usually among the wettest months — has failed to provide any relief. With the … Read More
- Animated Explainer: What's All The Fuss About Fracking in California?
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes