U.S. smoking rates by state
Click on any state below to see the percentage of adult smokers (based on 2010 data) and the tobacco tax rate. The darker the shade of red, the higher the smoking rate.Related
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
The map below, created by designer/programmer Lewis Lehe, shows state-by-state felon voting laws and population impacts as reported by the The Sentencing Project, based on 2010 data. Note: among the eleven states that deny voting rights to those who have … Read More
- 77 Countries Where It's Illegal to Be Gay
- Map: If California Split into Six States, This is What It'd Look Like
How did the Prop. 8 case go all the way from California to the U.S. Supreme Court? Scroll through this interactive to trace the path. Use the arrows to advance, and zoom in to blow-up text size and images. It … Read More
- Are States With Tough Gun Laws Actually Safer?
- I Do ... I Think? Making Sense of Gay Marriage in the Golden State
egardless of where you stand on gun control, the fact remains that America is one gun-toting country. There are 89 guns for every 100 civilians, according to the 2011 Small Arms Survey. That amounts to roughly 270 million guns owned … Read More
- Who Votes? 20 Years of State-by-State Voter Participation Rates, Visualized
- The Battleground States: Where It All Goes Down
enjamin Franklin once famously wrote: “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” Well, the deadline for the latter inevitability (and hopefully not the former) is just around the corner. For many Americans, mid-April … Read More
- What Do Your Taxes Actually Pay For?
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes