U.S. smoking rates by state
Click on any state below to see the percentage of adult smokers (based on 2010 data) and the tobacco tax rate. The darker the shade of red, the higher the smoking rate.
FILED UNDER:, , , ,
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
President Obama on Tuesday unveiled a report with dozens of recommendations for improving relations between police departments and the communities they serve, including calls for more accurate reporting of officer-involved fatalities and independent criminal investigations of those incidents. The interim report … Read More
- Every Police-Related Homicide Reported Last Year in California: Crowdsourced Map and Database
- America's Confusing Patchwork of Abortion Laws: Mapping State Rules and Rates
How did the Prop. 8 case go all the way from California to the U.S. Supreme Court? Scroll through this interactive to trace the path. Use the arrows to advance, and zoom in to blow-up text size and images. It … Read More
- Are States With Tough Gun Laws Actually Safer?
- I Do ... I Think? Making Sense of Gay Marriage in the Golden State
egardless of where you stand on gun control, the fact remains that America is one gun-toting country. There are 89 guns for every 100 civilians, according to the 2011 Small Arms Survey. That amounts to roughly 270 million guns owned … Read More
- The Battleground States: Where It All Goes Down
- Realignment Explained
When Benjamin Franklin wrote that “in this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes,” he left out a third inevitability: fierce disagreements over tax rates and spending. As long as our government spends a lot … Read More
- How Does the Government Spend Your Tax Dollars?
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes