U.S. smoking rates by state
Click on any state below to see the percentage of adult smokers (based on 2010 data) and the tobacco tax rate. The darker the shade of red, the higher the smoking rate.
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
As part of a collaboration with the National Writing Project, this is the first in a series of teacher-created educator guides on key topical issues. Written by two NWP-affiliated high school English and media arts teachers – Kirsten Spall of … Read More
- 11 Million Strong: Counting America's Undocumented Immigrants
- One Nation, Many Rules: America's Confusing Patchwork of Voting Laws
egardless of where you stand on gun control, the fact remains that America is one gun-toting country. There are 89 guns for every 100 civilians, according to the 2011 Small Arms Survey. That amounts to roughly 270 million guns owned … Read More
- Who Votes? 20 Years of State-by-State Voter Participation Rates, Visualized
- The Battleground States: Where It All Goes Down
enjamin Franklin once famously wrote: “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” Well, the deadline for the latter inevitability (and hopefully not the former) is just around the corner. For many Americans, mid-April … Read More
- What Do Your Taxes Actually Pay For?
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes