To point out the absurdities of Super PACs, the comedian Stephen Colbert jumped in the fray, and formed his own. Initially called the Citizens for a Better Tomorrow (he’s been switching the name around) it’s kind of a joke but also technically legitimate, with over a million dollars collected in donations already! In promoting it, Colbert emphasizes the very loose rules. Take a look:Related
FILED UNDER:, , , , , ,
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
Note: This post was originally published on May 20, 2014 “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.” Mark Twain may never have actually said it himself, but that doesn’t make the statement any less true. … Read More
- What is Inflation and Why Does it Happen? [An Animated Explainer]
- World Cup Basics Explained Really Fast (Including the Slack Rules of Stoppage Time)
Click on different points on the map below to see which counties would be part of each one of California’s six new states, as outlined in a proposed ballot initiative. Per capita income and population figures are listed for each “state,” … Read More
- Demystifying California's Top-Two Primary System
- "Schoolhouse Rock" Revised: What it Really Takes to Pass A Bill in Congress
The Supreme Court this week dealt a blow to the nation’s struggling labor unions. In a 5-4 decision along ideological lines, the court ruled that some government workers who decline membership in the unions that represent them can’t be forced … Read More
- Why All the Hype about Thomas Piketty's "Capital"?
- Income Inequality in America, An Illustrated Guide
This animation by NPR does a good job showing where the super PACs and campaigns are funneling their cash to buy up airtime for political ads. Forgot California – in the months leading up to election day, it’s all about … Read More
- Leaders of the (super) PAC: This Election, Who Are the Heavy Hitters?
- Super PACs: The Music Video!
I’m going to go out on a limb here in suggesting that the nitty gritty of the Affordable Care Act may not be the most exciting topic of conversation. But now, even as the government settles into shutdown mode, state … Read More
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes
- Why It Matters: Seven Major Issues At Stake For Youth In This Presidential Race