To point out the absurdities of Super PACs, the comedian Stephen Colbert jumped in the fray, and formed his own. Initially called the Citizens for a Better Tomorrow (he’s been switching the name around) it’s kind of a joke but also technically legitimate, with over a million dollars collected in donations already! In promoting it, Colbert emphasizes the very loose rules. Take a look:Related
FILED UNDER:, , , , , ,
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
Inflation. We hear about it an awful lot. But what’s it actually mean? What causes it? And why is grandpa always complaining about stuff getting more expensive? Stop motion guru Josh Kurz explains it all in this two-part video (you … Read More
- World Cup Basics Explained Really Fast (Including the Slack Rules of Stoppage Time)
- How Chinese Memes Circumvented Censorship on Tiananmen Square Anniversary
Click on different points on the map below to see which counties would be part of each one of California’s six new states, as outlined in a proposed ballot initiative. Per capita income and population figures are listed for each “state,” … Read More
- Demystifying California's Top-Two Primary System
- "Schoolhouse Rock" Revised: What it Really Takes to Pass A Bill in Congress
The Supreme Court this week dealt a blow to the nation’s struggling labor unions. In a 5-4 decision along ideological lines, the court ruled that some government workers who decline membership in the unions that represent them can’t be forced … Read More
- Why All the Hype about Thomas Piketty's "Capital"?
- Income Inequality in America, An Illustrated Guide
This animation by NPR does a good job showing where the super PACs and campaigns are funneling their cash to buy up airtime for political ads. Forgot California – in the months leading up to election day, it’s all about … Read More
- Leaders of the (super) PAC: This Election, Who Are the Heavy Hitters?
- Super PACs: The Music Video!
I’m going to go out on a limb here in suggesting that the nitty gritty of the Affordable Care Act may not be the most exciting topic of conversation. But now, even as the government settles into shutdown mode, state … Read More
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes
- Why It Matters: Seven Major Issues At Stake For Youth In This Presidential Race