To point out the absurdities of Super PACs, the comedian Stephen Colbert jumped in the fray, and formed his own. Initially called the Citizens for a Better Tomorrow (he’s been switching the name around) it’s kind of a joke but also technically legitimate, with over a million dollars collected in donations already! In promoting it, Colbert emphasizes the very loose rules. Take a look:
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
By Lewis Lehe To begin, a quiz: Bob and Jane Smith have two vehicles: One is a 15 MPG (miles per gallon) pickup truck that Bob uses for his construction job. The other is a 28 MPG sedan that his wife Jane uses for … Read More
- Ballot Battles, Part 3: A New Generation of Voting Barriers
- Ballot Battles, Part 2: How The Voting Rights Act Lost its Strength (Infographic)
Everyone likes a good deal. And for that reason, most of us have flocked to clothing stores like H&M and Old Navy for the unbelievably cheap and expansive selection they offer. T-shirts for five bucks; jeans and dresses for … Read More
- How Does the Government Spend Your Tax Dollars?
- Making Sense of Debt, Deficits and Other Dull Mysteries of the Universe
How much trash do you think you produce in a day? How about a year? It adds up a lot faster than you might think — especially in the United States, which collectively generates more garbage — or municipal waste … Read More
- In One-Day Strike, Fast-Food Workers Demand A Living Wage
- Six Good Resources to Help Make Some Sense of Iran's Nuclear Agreement
This animation by NPR does a good job showing where the super PACs and campaigns are funneling their cash to buy up airtime for political ads. Forgot California – in the months leading up to election day, it’s all about … Read More
- Leaders of the (super) PAC: This Election, Who Are the Heavy Hitters?
- Super PACs: The Music Video!
I’m going to go out on a limb here in suggesting that the nitty gritty of the Affordable Care Act may not be the most exciting topic of conversation. But now, even as the government settles into shutdown mode, state … Read More
- The First Earth Day: How It Began And What It Did For The Environment
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes