To point out the absurdities of Super PACs, the comedian Stephen Colbert jumped in the fray, and formed his own. Initially called the Citizens for a Better Tomorrow (he’s been switching the name around) it’s kind of a joke but also technically legitimate, with over a million dollars collected in donations already! In promoting it, Colbert emphasizes the very loose rules. Take a look:
About the author
Matthew Green runs KQED’s News Education Project, a new online resource for educators and the general public to help explain the news. The project lives at kqed.org/lowdown. View all posts by Matthew Green →
In the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s decision last June to strike down a key oversight provision in the Voting Rights Act, a number of states have already enacted controversial new voting rules that had previously been barred. In the … Read More
- Ballot Battles, Part 2: How The Voting Rights Act Lost its Strength (Infographic)
- Ballot Battles: A Cartoon History of The Voting Rights Act (Infographic)
Everyone likes a good deal. And for that reason, most of us have flocked to clothing stores like H&M and Old Navy for the unbelievably cheap and expansive selection they offer. T-shirts for five bucks; jeans and dresses for … Read More
- How Does the Government Spend Your Tax Dollars?
- Making Sense of Debt, Deficits and Other Dull Mysteries of the Universe
Fast-food workers at restaurants in more than 100 cities across the country, including Oakland and other East Bay cities, are walking off the the job today in a push for a major wage hike. Backed by organized labor, the one-day … Read More
- Six Good Resources to Help Make Some Sense of Iran's Nuclear Agreement
- How the Media Broke the Kennedy Assassination 50 Years Ago
This animation by NPR does a good job showing where the super PACs and campaigns are funneling their cash to buy up airtime for political ads. Forgot California – in the months leading up to election day, it’s all about … Read More
- Leaders of the (super) PAC: This Election, Who Are the Heavy Hitters?
- Super PACs: The Music Video!
I’m going to go out on a limb here in suggesting that the nitty gritty of the Affordable Care Act may not be the most exciting topic of conversation. But now, even as the government settles into shutdown mode, state … Read More
- The First Earth Day: How It Began And What It Did For The Environment
- What Prop. 30 Means For Your Taxes