Miss Congeniality

November 20th, 2006

Amy & JoshEvery once in a great while a TV show comes along that delves more deeply into the human condition than you had ever thought possible -- bringing you to a place of profound understanding, reminding you of your inescapable connection to the tiniest subatomic particle in the universe, taking you on an intellectual and spiritual journey of the highest order. Tonight's episode -- featuring an interview with the effervescent Amy Sedaris -- is not such a show. It was just plain fun.

AmyAs a long-time fan of her warped Strangers with Candy TV series -- now also a feature film -- I wouldn't have expected any different. Still, hanging out with her in person was a revelation. Sedaris is a master of what you might call the Comedy of Cruelty: she gaily pricks at stereotypes until they bleed. And yet, like her brother David -- the great humor writer -- Amy has an underlying sweetness and humanity that belies the barbs. No matter how mean she might pretend to be, you like her, you really like her.

Amy & BunnyThe same goes for her new book, the coffee-table-sized I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence. Packed into its glossy pages are numerous examples of Sedaris's twisted wit, along with loads of really delicious-looking recipes (not counting, of course, those for fake cakes). Like its author, it's simultaneously heartfelt and irreverent. And bunny-friendly. Yes, Amy Sedaris loves rabbits. We proved that definitively on this show as well.

All in all, having this hostess with the mostest as our guest was a deeply giddy experience. So hey, I take back what I said before: This show was deep.

video Get the podcast, download now, or stream the video (requires Real)

• 1. dustin  |  November 21st, 2006 at 3:10 am

a fantastic show.

• 2. Josh Kornbluth  |  November 21st, 2006 at 4:05 pm

Thanks, Dustin!! (As you could probably tell, it was a blast for me to do.)

• 3. Katie  |  November 24th, 2006 at 8:58 am

I loved this! I’m so glad that you provide podcasts (since I live in Maryland, and don’t exactly get KQED…). Thanks!

• 4. Josh Kornbluth  |  November 27th, 2006 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the shout-out from Maryland, Katie!

• 5. Mark Tyne  |  December 1st, 2006 at 5:20 pm

Hey Amy,

I’m producing a show in SF called “American Fido”. American Fido is an “open mike” contest to find the worst act in San Francisco!

On Thursday, 12/21/06 at 8PM at the Darkroom Theater in SF, American Fido is partnering up with Rocket Dog Rescue a nonprofit org that saves abandoned pets from euthenasia. The owners of the pets will be doing entertainment acts with their adopted animals competing with the rest of the music, spoken word, comedy, drag queen acts for the title of “Worst Act of 2006″. I know you love animals. Would you consider volunteering to be a celebrity judge or celebrity guest for our show? Drop me a line and I’ll send you the press release: marktyne1@yahoo.com http://www.amfido.com
    Huge fan of SWCandy. “The hole and the pole”. Classic! Woof! ~c:)

• 6. Amy Sedaris » Am&hellip  |  December 12th, 2006 at 9:07 pm