No (Great) Teacher Left Behind

July 17th, 2006

You'd think that being married to a public-school teacher, and being also the son and stepson of public-school teachers, and moreover being the father of a public-school student, I'd be somewhat obsessed with improving the lives of our public-school teachers -- and, most important, their students. And you'd be right -- way right. But I confess that until I read Teachers Have It Easy: The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America’s Teachers, I didn't really have a clue as to how this daunting task might be accomplished.

Dave Eggers and N</p>

<p id=Entry Filed under: tv episodes

• 1. Misty Cammack  |  July 17th, 2006 at 7:44 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for the brilliant show. I am a first year teacher at a new charter school in Livermore, California. I work between 50 and 60 hours a week and my pay is 42k. That stinks but I love the kids and hope that I can survive. It is very comforting to know that there are others out there who feel as strongly about education as I do. Thanks.
    Misty

• 2. Josh Kornbluth  |  July 18th, 2006 at 10:45 am

Thanks so much for your comment, Misty — your words really mean a lot to me! I wish you the best of success in your teaching career.

• 3. Gilbert Gregory  |  July 18th, 2006 at 7:47 pm

My daughter is a first grade teacher in central L.A. who loves teaching Spanish-speaking children English, especially using her vast personal library of illustrated books. But she is constantly constrained by the cookbook approach of “No Child Left Behind”, which so often leads to disinterested and hyperactive children and a frustrated and discouraged teacher.

Your program was fascinating , and I can hardly wait to get her the book by Eggers and Calegan.

Your show is one of the best on T.V.

• 4. Eddie Zacapa  |  July 21st, 2006 at 2:45 am

Thanks for the informative show. I think it is so important to bring more awareness to this topic and I commend the authors of the book and all the teachers for their hard work.

Eddie

• 5. Curt Ingram  |  July 29th, 2006 at 5:52 am

Here’s a blog where people can write about a teacher who made a difference in their lives. They can also read and make comments on posts by others. This is a great way to appreciate good teachers, and provide recognition for the work they do.

• 6. Josh Kornbluth  |  August 5th, 2006 at 10:44 am

Hey, Giilbert &#38; Eddie &#38; Curt — thank so much for your comments! It’s great to hear from others who appreciate brilliant teachers! … And Curt, thanks as well for your link to that cool blog — I’ve added it to my list of recommended links.

• 7. Josh McNeil  |  August 13th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

So, I guess I might not be an upright authority on such things, mostly because I am only 19. However that still doesn’t stop me from caring about the education system, which, in my young eyes, is a joke.

Now, I’m not exactly “American”, more like “Canadian”, but we have much of the same problem in our neck of the woods. Which ultimately boils down to a lack of caring on the school districts’ part and the governments.

Our teachers may make a little more money and we may not have a system as trivial as “No Child Left Behind” but it fails our students in much the same way. I for example was restricted from taking certain courses I particularly enjoyed, such as the English Lit. and other more “artistic” courses, because I had to take a course like physics of all things.

My generation, and the one following has been made a particular fool due to lack of actual education. I myself took the year off and worked before University, and in that time I learned more than I ever did in school. Sad.

Anyways, this odd little diatribe has finally lead me to where I wanted to end up, that something needs to be done about nothing, and I really appreciate your involvement. Our problems in North America are the same, whether we be American or Canadian. Issues like these need to be looked after in the same boat, at least, that’s what I believe.

Much thanks Josh, much appreciated.

–Josh McNeil

• 8. Josh Kornbluth  |  August 16th, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Hey, Josh — thanks for your great comment! It’s really encouraging to me that someone your age is so passionate about education. I’d actually been curious whether the Canadian public-school situation differed from ours, as it’s been my vague sense that Canada collects and spends more money for public services, like schools (although, of course, more money doesn’t by itself mean better). As for physics, that was actually my favorite course in high school — but I was a science nerd, and I can imagine how brutal it would be to force most normal people to study it. … But I digress! Thanks again for your very thoughtful comment!

July 2006