Calling All Pod People

January 14th, 2006

My benevolent webmistress, Colleen Wilson, informs me that we now may have the ability to offer our show as a podcast -- a free version of each episode that you can put on your computer, and then transfer to your iPod. The question that she's asked me -- and that I'm now passing along to you -- is whether our podcasts should be (a) video or (b) audio-only.

The cool thing about the video podcasts, of course, would be that you could actually watch the show (as well as hear it). The downside (downsides?): only people with the most recent version of the iPod (oh, how I envy you!) can watch video, and these files would be relatively large (and thus take longer to download).

As for the audio-only podcasts, everyone with any kind of iPod could get them -- and their relatively small file size would make for quick downloads. On the other hand, you wouldn't be able to see me waving my hands with inappropriate wildness, or blocking the camera's view of my guest while I reach for my umpteenth sip of coffee -- not to mention fall on my ass in a "Wandering Josh" segment.

So there you have the podcasting choice: to video, or to audio-only? Please let me know in the "comments" section below. ...

Speaking of: I have been getting tremendous enjoyment from a series of podcasts created by Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant, the guys who gave the world the original, squirmalicious British version of The Office. Called The Ricky Gervais Show, these (audio-only) podcasts consist entirely of a half-hour conversation between Ricky, Steve, and a very odd fellow named Karl Pilkington. Mostly, Ricky and Steve mercilessly make fun of Karl, who is either one of the strangest fellows on the planet or absolutely the greatest comedian of all time -- I can't figure out which. So far, they've done six podcasts, out of an eventual total of 12. You can download the episodes here, or you can subscribe to the podcasts on iTunes (either way, it's free). My favorite section of each episode tends to be the "Monkey News," which is exactly what you'd expect, subject-matter-wise. ...

Entry Filed under: let's digress

• 1. Julie Bernstein  |  January 15th, 2006 at 1:35 am

Yay, Josh-casting! Note that if you provide a video podcast, an iPod isn’t absolutely necessary to watch it; anyone with Mac or Windows can download iTunes for free and watch it there as well. Also, there’s a nifty “enhanced AAC” podcast version which allows an audio podcast to be supplemented with images and links.

I’d say audio-only would be OK for shows where you’re doing only interviews, but the “Wandering Josh” segments would really suffer without video. Tough call if you have to choose only one format (can you do more than one?)

• 2. Jesse Thorn  |  January 15th, 2006 at 1:09 pm

So… is there a reason you can’t do both?

• 3. Stacy Wong  |  January 15th, 2006 at 2:01 pm

I’d vote for audio, but is there a reason you can’t have both?

• 4. Anna L. Conti  |  January 15th, 2006 at 2:26 pm

You gotta have some kind of visual or before you know it, you’ll seem hopelessly outdated. The primo option would be to offer both AV and audio-only. Next best option is to embed a few still slides from the show along with the audio. You don’t have to watch the video on an iPod – you can use Quicktime or Real Player.

What ever you choose, I think it’s fantastic – now I’ll be able to watch it on MY schedule.

(By the way, I loved your post about “Faces.”)

• 5. Will Lewis  |  January 15th, 2006 at 6:04 pm

Without picture, there’s no experience. My vote is for video. More people will react to seeing rather than hearing. Your expressions alone is enough to make me want to see it. But really, either way, you’re getting out there. So, you’ll be on our ipods anyway. Good luck.

• 6. Thomas  |  January 16th, 2006 at 4:55 am

Why not use the mp3 format so everyone can hear them, whether they own trendy little gadgets or not?

• 7. Josh Kornbluth  |  January 18th, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for your extremely helpful comments, everyone! When I get back from Philadelphia, I’ll discuss this many-sided issue with my Benevolent Webmistress.

• 8. Mary  |  January 18th, 2006 at 6:38 pm

Josh! I’m so excited that they’ve set you up to podcast!!!! I’ve been hoping for this for weeks. I love your show, but never seem to be near a t.v. in time to catch most of them. I like audio podcasts, but I agree with everyone – why not do video, since it’s the wave of the future, and parts of your show are dependent on visuals. Wishing you the best of luck!

• 9. Josh Kornbluth  |  January 19th, 2006 at 8:55 am

Thanks, Mary! I’m looking forward to being podcast, too.

• 10. benevolent webmistress  |  January 19th, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Howdy folks,

Don’t forget you can watch streaming video of Josh’s program right here on this web site — anytime!

I’ll get cracking on those podcasts shortly. Thanks for all of your votes.

Colleen

• 11. Josh Kornbluth  |  January 30th, 2006 at 9:01 pm

Yes, thanks, everybody! … You know, now that my “old” iPod was just stolen and I’ve replaced it with one of the new ones that accommodate video, I’m feeling a subtle shift in my views on this matter. … More soon. …

• 12. Sha'Torria  |  May 25th, 2007 at 6:00 am

wut up yall need to unblock myspace so we can cheeck our message and if we be on there rfor longer than minutes thats what yall need to do

• 13. Sha'Torria  |  May 25th, 2007 at 6:01 am

can yall unblock mysoace please

January 2006