Teacher Tech Training Workshop 1.4: Slideshows with Sound
There are a ton of slideshow programs out there online. Some are better than others. Most are free, but be aware of those that claim they are free and then ask you to pay a fee once you’ve registered to use their site. Below, you can view a chart that lists a number of applications that are either software or hosted online. You can see if they incorporate sound and text, and whether they are free or there is a fee. (click on the table to see a larger version)
Today’s workshop focuses on JayCut, an online video editing system that is great for audio slideshows. It’s much like Windows Movie Maker and iMovie, but since it’s online, it’s great to teach. There is only one version and it doesn’t matter if you use a Mac or a PC.
The only quirk is that you have to upload all of your media content (there actually is an option to use your computer’s microphone to record audio and another option to record video from your computer’s camera…but we won’t talk about that now). To do this, you will first have to collect all of your images and audio first. If you are taking images online through a Google image search, then you will have to first download the images, save them in a folder on your computer, then upload the images to your JayCut account. Here’s a quick workflow for the process of creating an audio slideshow once you have recorded your audio in Audacity and have exported it as a WAV or AIFF file.
- Go to www.jaycut.com
- Register on the site.
- Create a movie
- Select a language
- Click “add media” on the upper right corner.
- Click on “my computer” and click “next.”
- Click “browse”
- Find the media files from your computer, select them and click “open.”
- Click “upload.” (Note: sometimes there is a green check and other times there is a red x after uploading. Ignore it.)
- Click the little gray x on the upper right corner of that window.
- You should now be able to view your media in its proper tab — (ex. — if it’s an image, it should be located in the image tab.)