Pizza is great. Probably my favorite thing about it is how it can really be a vehicle for almost anything. I use it for leftovers all the time. The best part about using it in this capacity is discovering a new combination that I just simply adore.
I never really considered using sweet potatoes on pizza until I had a bunch laying around along with some homemade pesto. I tried it on a whim and it was fantastic; it’s earthy, hearty and kinda sweet. I think you are going to like it!
- Chewy Homemade Pizza Dough (get the video + text recipe)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning the potato and onion slices
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese at room temperature, shredded
- 1 /3 cup Raw Kale and Pistachio Pesto (video recipe below – get the text recipe)
Instructions for Pizza:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Wash the sweet potato, removing any dark spots. Then thinly slice it either using a food processor or a mandolin slicer. I guess a knife would also work.
3. Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
4. Place the sweet potato and red onion slices in a large mixing bowl and toss them with one tablespoon of olive oil and some salt and fresh pepper.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay out the sweet potatoes and onions. Place them in the over to roast for about 20 minutes, tossing them at least once.
6. After the potatoes and onions have been removed, bring the oven to 500 degrees F or the oven’s maximum temperature.
7. Place the pizza dough on a large piece of parchment paper and roll it out to your desired thickness. I am geometrically challenged and cannot seem to make circles. Pentagons, hexagons and any other shape that is non-circular is fine. But no circles.
8. Lightly brush the dough with the remaining olive oil. Now spoon the kale pesto onto the dough. Add the mozzarella cheese and then top the pizza with the roasted sweet potatoes and onions.
9. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or so, until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted.
10. Remove and let cool for a minute or so, then slice and serve!Related