Pizza dough is one of those things that once you make it yourself, you’ll eat even more pizza than you already do. Why? Well, fresh pizza dough is super easy to make and fresh baked pizza is way tastier than anything you’ll get delivered.
I just made this amazing Sweet Potato and Kale Pesto Pizza with it and it was amazing. That recipe is coming up next.
Recipe: Chewy Homemade Pizza Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (for proofing)
1. Sift both flours into a large mixing bowl and add the salt.
2. Warm the water to 120 degrees F.
3. Now let’s proof the yeast. You don’t have to do this but there is nothing more frustrating than making fresh dough of any sort and having it not rise. And proofing only takes but five minutes. Add the sugar and warm water to a clear measuring cup and mix it until the sugar dissolves. Then add in the yeast without stirring it. If the yeast is active, you will see bubbles or a thick foamy top like that of beer stout at the end of five minutes. This means this yeast is good to go!
4. Add the yeast mixture to the flour. You always add wet ingredients to dry to prevent lumps and the flour from getting overworked.
5. Once the flour, water and yeast are all combined, transfer the dough onto a floured surface to knead it. Knead it for about a minute or two, for at least 20 turns.
6. Then cover the dough to let it rise. I just place the very same mixing bowl I used previously over it, letting it rise at room temperature for at least 4 hours.