If you enjoyed the Crispy Artichoke Chip recipe I posted earlier this week, then I am about to blow your mind. While that recipe can very well stand on its own, it was really meant as a garnish for this one. Seriously, this is the dish for the artichoke connoisseur.
For one, it’s a combination of both braised and fried artichokes. And while that’s two completely different textures of the same vegetable, they work so very well together. By braising the artichokes, Chef John Toulze really showcases the earthy and sweet flavors found in baby artichokes. And somewhat surprisingly, the artichoke chips are just as flavorful but also very light and airy.
With just a hint of lemon, this dish tastes like summer.
Recipe: Braised Baby Artichokes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 pounds baby artichokes, cleaned and prepped
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Crispy Artichoke Chips (for garnish)
- Fresh parsley, tarragon, chives or chervil (for garnish)
1. To prepare the baby artichokes, remove the tough outer leaves from the artichokes until you reach the tender light green leaves, rubbing them with the cut lemon as you go to prevent discoloration.
2. Trim the ends and tops and remove any remaining tough or dark green leaves.
3. In a large saucepan, combine the white wine, 2 cups water, lemon juice, 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
4. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and bring the poaching liquid to a gentle simmer. Submerge the cleaned artichokes in the liquid and cook until a knife easily pierces the stems, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the artichokes with their liquid into a container and let cool. Remove the artichokes from the poaching liquid and set aside. Discard the poaching liquid.
6. Season the artichokes with the sea salt, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Divide among six chilled plates and garnish with the fresh herbs and Crispy Artichoke Chips.Related