American Graduate Videos on Youtube
Search This Blog
About American Graduate
American Graduate is a public media initiative funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting to help local communities across America find solutions to address the dropout crisis. The initiative builds on public media’s long-standing commitment to education by convening conversations and strengthening partnerships between public radio and television stations and local schools, businesses and community organizations to help students stay on the path to a high school diploma.
For more information about the national project go to American Graduate, Let's Make It Happen.
- best supplements for men: That is really fascinating, You’re an excessively skilled blogger. I’ve joined...
- dj naples: Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next write...
- minecraft hosts: I am truly thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this fantastic post at here.
- Alpha Genix Reviews: It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this...
- hitter training: Hello mates, its fantastic piece of writing concerning tutoringand fully defined, keep it up all the...
Blogger: Yo Ann Martinez
Behind "An American Graduate" Album
August 14, 2012
Written by: Chris Runde
Since March of this year, musicians and filmmakers in BAVC’s Next Gen youth programs have been contributing to a nationwide project focusing on the high school dropout crisis in the United States. Supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, American Graduate is a public media initiative created in response to the staggering 1.3 million young people who drop out of high school each year. The project engages with 68 public broadcasting stations and 300 community partners throughout the country to create locally-based solutions and media content.
Working in partnership with KQED, youth from BAVC’s Factory and BUMP Records programs were recruited to create work that documents the state of the American educational system as experienced by the students in it. Artists in BUMP Records recently completed a compilation of music that explores the complexity of the situation in Oakland, California. Touching on topics like the links between education level and income/incarceration, student alienation, and the challenges faced by teachers working in the system, the songs approach difficult subject matter with nuance and honesty. The album, An American Graduate, can be downloaded for free at BUMP Records’ Bandcamp site: http://bumprecords.bandcamp.com/
In support of the album release and larger project goals, BUMP artists Bhindi G, JustKidding and 3ss3ns3 performed a short selection of songs from An American Graduate on Saturday, August 18 at Frank Ogawa Plaza in Oakland.
Visit: KQED's Sound Cloud site to listen to the album.
- Want a Kitten With Your Latte? Cat Cafes Coming to Oakland, San Francisco
- How to Teach the Standards Without Becoming Standardized
- What Keeps Students Motivated to Learn?
- San Francisco Firefighters Mopping Up Massive Mission Bay Blaze
- Four Fun Videos That Explore the English Language
- Rally at City College of San Francisco Turns Violent; Two Detained
- Google Glass Hits Speed Bump Over Privacy, Distracted Driving Concerns
- Should Handheld Devices for Kids Under 12 Be Banned?
- Tech Guru Jaron Lanier Warns of Growing 'Digital Passivity': Forum
- CCSF Rally Turns Violent; Two Detained